Monday, March 31, 2008

Beltera - First road race for 2008

My intro to road racing for 2008 was this weekend. It's been a long time. I lined up with the cat 4s and had a good warm-up- was ready to go. We ended up going really slow the first couple laps. THere weren't many attacks throughout. By third lap things started to get a little more interesting. On the last lap, Rachel Byus jumped at the top of the only hill. I went around someone and chased to get on her wheel to work together. I caught up, gave myself some seconds to recover and went around her. We had a gap but we jumped too early. A couple girls caught us. I motioned for help and Rachel started to move to help but saw the other girls making their way in front. She moved over to let them by and accidentally moved into my front wheel. I thought for sure i was going down. I started to lose control, bumped her wheel again and somehow kept myself upright. Our strategy for a break didn't work. The group caught us and i didn't have much left for the sprint. Ended up 7th. Very disappointed.

Lessons on Beltera:
1. it is possible to get your front wheel bumped and stay upright
2. I need work on my sprints
3. Pay attention to finish area

Christina Smith ended up 3rd. Stuck in the curb at the sprint she was left without room for her sprint.

No comments: