Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Memorial Day Crit Races

MIRAGE CRIT (on Sat)

I was super excited all week coming into that weekend. I wanted to do well in all the races to cat up to a 3. On Friday, i started to get really sick to my stomach. This continued onto Saturday. I knew i was dehydrated so i drank some pickle juice and ended up throwing that up right before the start of the race while i was warming up. I wasn't feeling all that strong and since my teammates couldn't make the race, my goal was to just stay in the group (not attack at all) and see what i had at the finish. I love that race with the 180 degree turn and uphill finish. I kept in a good place the whole time and stayed near the front. The final lap, i went down that hill and stayed tucked in with the group until the turn. I knew the group was gonna go wide so i ended up going on the inside and cutting the turn tightly. That put me in a great spot for the climb. I got behind Brandi until someone attacked and i followed the attack. I sprinted up the finish but only had the legs to take 3rd place. Best finish i've had there in 3 years but wish i would've won it for the team.


GS TENZING CRIT (on Sun)



Stomach was still messed up but i was fired up. I hung some with Tobin, Becky and Cap and worked a bit and then got ready to warm up. I was excited that Kelly and Nancy were gonna be there and we were all gonna race together. It was a fun race and Kelly really worked and made some attacks. Nancy and Kelly did awesome! They helped to tire out the group while i just hung in. Kelly made a great move and attacked on less than five laps to go. We were closing in on the last few turns on the last lap and i made sure to get in a good position to not get boxed in. Angela from sugars made the attack and i followed. We sprinted to the line and she got me by half a wheel. The pic is from that race. So that race we got a 2nd, a 4th and a 7th in women 4s.

The P123 girls were able to get Tracie for the win! Great job ladies.


STATE CHAMPIONSHIP CRIT (on monday)

The P12 girls lined up with Christina, Cassandra, Kim and Michelle. 6 Metro girls with team radios lined up at the start and pretty much played the offensive role in that race. They got a girl to attack from the beginning and she stayed in the front the whole time. Christina went to chase her but eventually got picked up from the group. Metro won that race in the P12 and Rachel B from Metro won the State Championship for the 3s. The girls helped Christina get a second place finish for the team.

In the 4s race, Kelly and i raced that day. It was such a hot day!! The hottest day of all three days. It felt like my skin was boiling. Becky was out there cheering us on (as she was on Sat at the Mirage crit **thanks becky**) and trying to throw water on us. Except for the heat, the race was going well. Kelly and i were responding to the attacks. The course is set up with many turns. It was a great course and i really enjoyed it. The last lap, i decided to make a move at the start of all the turns. I knew i could take them pretty fast and since i kept getting swallowed up at the final sprints, i thought it would be best to attack a lil earlier and have a small gap for the final sprint. Well plan was going great. I attacked after one of the turns before the small downhill. I was ahead of the group on the left turn and gaining a gap. I took the right turn and still a gap. I took the next right turn too fast and too tight. Not wide enough!! I ended up going straight toward the hay bales and had to put on my brakes to not hit them. There was a headwind there and the group caught up to me midway to the last turn. I stayed with the group after the turn but was swallowed at the sprint. Our team finished 6th and 7th. Very disappointed about that but you race and you learn.

Great weekend of racing and it was nice to race with the girls.. but still not enough points to cat up. :(

No comments: