Thursday, May 1, 2008

Hail to Comfort

Comfort has to be one of my favorite trails here in texas. I've only raced it twice now. Last year it rained so it was a swamp and i only got to race the upper loop. This past weekend, although the storms were near, it was dry as a bone and i got to race the whole course.
Larson picked me up early afternoon on Friday to start our journey. We stopped at West and Larson had his usual 5 jalapenos with cream cheese and i had my one. Those are soooo good. The sky was dark and eerie but as soon as we hit Temple, we started to see cars pulled over and crowding under the underpass. Rigtt after we went through the underpass the hail started to hit. Larson's car was getting pounded by hail. I called Cristina to see if she was near a computer to find out if there was a tornado and sure enough a tornado landed a few miles away in Belton. I asked larson to pull over and he found some coverage in this restaurant under construction. Everyone was looking for some shelter. He decided he wanted to go out in the hail and battle it out with the tornado. After i freaked out a lil bit he pulled over once again. So we didn't get swept up to Oz and we made it to Tanya Woody's house about 6-7 hours later.
Preride was good and we ended up riding the lower loop since i had never ridden it. Christina and Toby competed in the QOM and KOM and Christina won with Toby close behind Pete who won his category.
On Sat night, weather predicted for comfort was 80% chance of rain starting at 7am. We thought it would be a wash with ligtning and hail. But it just missed us.
Race day, i warmed up and felt ok. My start was awful. Christina wiped out at the start right after the turn but was alright and laughing when she passed me. I couldnt keep up with the leaders and i just wasn't feeling it. My legs felt like bricks and my lungs had nothing. I ended up catching up to Kim and Sara was right in front of her. Kim had a mechanical and i passed her. I started to catch up to some of the guys and right after Bill said "Bibi's here", i ended up hitting a tree and doing a slow motion crash. There all the girls in my group passed me and i was still had nothing in my tank. I started to go into the lower loop in last place and was starting to think this would be a race to drop. Then i started to feel better. I started to catch up to two other girls and Christiane in the other class. She and i rode together a bit and went back and forth. Then we caught up to Sara and i got in front of both. I ended up getting second. I couldn't believe it. I thought that race was done after the upper loop. It's a good thing that course is so fun or maybe i would not have continued. That and some luck helped me get that second place.

Christina won, I got second.
Fawley got 1st,Larson got 4th, Boyd got 6th, Toby got 7th,Martin got 10th and Jordan got 16th. Way to go guys!!

Thanks to Tanya for letting us stay at your place and Larson for driving me and keeping us from getting swept up.

until Big Ring..

No comments: